One of the key takeaways I want you to get from this post is that ‘taking breaks are important’.
I have once wrongly believed that working without taking breaks means I will get more work done and be productive with what I am doing.
I have noticed that when I don’t take breaks from work, I get stressed, tired, cranky, and I feel queasy. However, when I take breaks and refresh my body and mind, I feel more relaxed and productive; ready to work more.
Taking breaks shouldn’t be something that is negotiable, it should be something that you have in mind to create time for.
When you consciously schedule time for breaks, you are giving yourself the opportunity to get re-energized, refreshed, and more productive.
Breaks are important and beneficial to us, breaks help to reduce burnout and stress. You will notice that whenever you take breaks, you will feel less stressed.
One of the ways you can easily take breaks when working is to schedule it on your calendar. There are so many calendaring apps you can download on your devices that you can utilize. When you schedule taking breaks, it becomes easy to remember.
Another way to easily take breaks is to designate a specific timeframe for your works. For instance, you can designate an hour for doing a task that should take an hour. When you designate time frames, you have the opportunity to pause a little and relax a bit after a task has been completed.
Here are some few ideas on taking breaks:
- Pray: when you take breaks, one of the things you can do is to pray. I realize that whenever I pray, I feel instantly energized and refreshed, and a get a whole new and better perspective on things.
- Read uplifting contents: you can also read good and uplifting contents such as devotionals, good books, good articles, and so on during your break period.
- Digital detox: most times whenever people take breaks, they still hold their phones or still scroll through social media, thinking they are actually taking breaks. This shouldn’t be so. I used to do this a lot before, and then I realized I wasn’t really taking breaks.
- Take a walk: one of the things you can do when you take breaks is to also take a walk and stretch your body. You can take a short stroll and stretch your muscles.
- Rest: you can also choose to rest your body; whether lying down on a chair, bed, or sofa.
- Cool your mind: stop worrying or allowing your thoughts race through your mind.
- Sleep: another way you can make good use of your break is to sleep for the period of the break.
- Once in a while, make up your mind to take long breaks: I love doing this. Once in a while, I feel like there is a need for me to consciously take long breaks from work.
What do you think? Drop your comments in the comment section below!